How Storytelling Can Amp-Up Your Brand Value
Telling a compelling story helps businesses to generate considerable word-of-mouth and create brand awareness in the process. Any story that adds character and color to your business resonates deeply with customers and encourages them to recruit on the company’s behalf when they share it.Most companies are accustomed to believe that marketing should be objective, rational and clear with no room for subjective thinking or emotion. However, the most persuasive and powerful messages have a human element delivered effectively through the use of storytelling. It can help a business stand apart from its competition and give it a unique personality. Prospective clients or customers are hooked because the story resonates with them and they have an emotional response.
The following rules can help you make up a compelling story to resonate with your target audience:
- Values of the brand – It is important to understand what your brand is and who it is meant for. Define and accept what’s true about your brand, and back up the philosophy with stories that you put forth.
- Create meaning – Never give raw data or information to the audience. Apply the values of your brand so that it has interest, meaning and value for them. Develop a narrative with strong imagery.
- Motivate people – The story should prompt people into action. Think of Steve Job’s Apple presentations. They were fantastic stories that motivated people and simplified decisions for them with their understanding and clarity.
- Make them easy to share – People tend not to repeat product benefits to each other. If there is a story that can be easily shared, people repeat those. For effective social media marketing, come up with stories that are easy to share.
- The irresistible truth – This takes a little time to develop. Using brand stories are a sound method only if it is effectively grounded in a truth that you can own and sets you apart. Anything else will not have the same kind of impact. Build a strong brand with your story.
- Long term engagement – It should be obvious by now that this is a ‘reap what you sow’ thing. It is not an SEO program or a campaign to display ads. Considered and integrated programs with a strong online campaign are an investment to help build the brand, unlike short campaigns that are just made to ‘engage’.
A simple way to come up with a memorable story is to create a relatable protagonist, a challenge and a eureka moment, where the company’s service or product helps them deal with the challenge. Of course, this is not a rule set in stone, but just one of the many effective ways to craft an impression on the potential customer’s mind.